If you wish to light an “open air” fire within the rural fire district, which includes all land administered by Tasman District and Nelson City Council’s you should make contact with the organisation listed in the Contact Map tab above.

Information required includes: Name and Contract Details, Property Location, Material to Burn and Quantity, Water Availability and other mitigation measures to ensure the fire cannot spread.

Once the organisation has approved the fire permit, it will be sent to you.  You should keep this permit as the permit number will remain attached to your personal details.

The duration of the fire permit depends upon your requirements and the current seasonal weather effects and fire danger.  During the winter period (excluding the smoke sensitive zones  - TDC), permits can generally be issued for longer periods, whereas during spring and summer the duration is shortened to ensure we can manage the regional risk and hazard.  During Christmas/New Year and other holiday periods only permits are issued for cooking and camp fires to minimise the risk when our fire fighting resources may be diminished.

Notes for Information of Permittee

Under the Forest and Rural Fires Act 1977, the Forest and Rural Fires Regulations 1979, and the Fire Prevention Bylaw, there are compulsory conditions to the under mentioned effect. For their full legal form, please see the Act and Regulations and Fire Prevention Bylaw.

1. OPEN AIR means not in a fireplace, incinerator, barbeque or other place, duly approved in each case.

2. WIND etc. Do not light up in a strong wind or in conditions likely to spread the fire or to present a fire hazard (including adverse long-range weather forecast). Check the weather forecast.

3. CAMPING etc. If camping or cooking, or needing comfort or warmth, keep fire at least 3m clear of any tree, log, stump or dry vegetation. Remove all combustible material within 3m of the fire site.

4. PATROL the fire until completely out or cannot spread.

5. NOTICE Before lighting a controlled burn, notify neighbours as directed.

6. EXTREME HAZARD Permits are suspended by fire hazard emergency warnings or orders prohibiting all open fires. Check by radio or ring the Fire Authority. If fire is essential for emergency (e.g. stock disease) at such times seek a “special permit”.

7. SHOWING PERMIT This written permit must be produced on demand by a member of Police or Fire Officer.

8. DAMAGE A permit is not a legal defence against claims for damage caused by the fire.

9. PARKS etc. Except where officially signposted otherwise, permits are needed at all times for open air fires in National or Maritime Parks, in specially protected sites, and in (including their fire safety margins of usually 1 kilometre) other State areas or forest areas.

10. ESCAPE If the fire gets out of hand, try to extinguish it. Urgently notify a Fire Officer.

11. OFFENCES It is an offence to light an open air fire without the appropriate permit, or to break permit conditions, or to let a fire spread toand injure a State area, forest area, or specially protected property, or to leave it unprotected against such spread.

12. JOINT PERMITS Obtain further permits from Soil Conservation, Crown, or other statutory fire authorities whose approval is required, if this is not a joint permit signed on their behalf.

13. LANDHOLDER Separate consent by the landholder may be needed.